Sunday, April 17, 2011

Berlin - Prague - London: Leg 2 of Spring Break

I haven't posted in a while, mainly out of pure exhaustion... the second I get back to my room I usually pass out for nap time. I suppose it's one of the hazards of walking upwards of 6 hours everyday.  So, due to my prolonged absence a lot has happened since I last spoke to you all.
Berlin
- Our second day in Berlin the weather was still unpleasant and we ended up spending a lot of time in various museums. The first museum that we visited was the Memorial to the Murdered Jews, we had visited the monument before, but the Museum underneath it was absolutely worth the revisit.  It really put a personal touch on what had happened. Then we went to the Topography of Terror which documented the rise of the SS and Gestapo. So overall it was a seeming sad day topic wise.

Prague
-The train ride to Prague was beautiful as we were expecting, however the train itself was less than we expected. It wasn't as nice nor was it as fast as we had previously thought. However Prague was exactly what we were expecting. A magnificently beautiful place with gorgeous architecture and cheap prices! The beer is literally cheaper than water in some places. We went to Old Town, Joseftov, and also the Castle District.  The cathedral within the Palace was magnificent, and the climb up 287 steps of the bell tower to get a view of all of Prague was breathtaking.  There was also an amazing view of Prague from the Monastery that we visited.  The food was very similar to the German food, the only problem was the occasional 3 hour meal due to slow service.

London
-I got to London late last night, and meandered from Luton Airport to my hotel in Swiss Cottage.  The hostel experience will certainly be an interesting one.  Half of my room was getting ready for bed when I arrive at 10 and the other half was getting ready to go out.  I think people were moving around in the room until about 3 am, and then other people started waking up at 8.  Today I took a hop on hop off bus tour around London.  Yet with my luck, today was also the day of the London Marathon which passed through sites such as Buckingham Palace, Westminister, and the Tower of London, so getting to those sites proved to be quite the struggle. However, I carried on and made it to most of the sites I wanted too.  Luckily, because of the altered schedule my ticket is also good for tomorrow, so I plan on taking advantage of the Museum Line of the tour and going to the National Gallery by Trafalgar square as well as the British Museum. What I found interesting about the tour buses is that it seemed that I was the only person really taking advantage of the hop on hop off aspect. I was the only person to leave the bus at the Palace, and one of two people to leave the bus in Westminster to see the Abbey, Parliament, and Big Ben.  Hello people.... what exactly are you doing paying a fortune when you aren't actually going to see the sites?  (Due to the bus detours we usually had to get off the bus and walk to the attractions, so you couldn't actually see the main sites from the bus)

Some unanswered questions: Is London Bridge actually famous for any reason? Because it seemed uninspiring to me, yet the Tower Bridge was pretty.  Why are people willing to wait in line for hours to see wax people?

Also, after seeing old men and fat people running in the London Marathon I realized I really have no excuse not too.  I was quite impressed with their perseverance, yet I know for me a 5k is pushing it.   
That's all for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment