Friday, April 22, 2011

2 Weeks, 5 Countries, 0 Regrets

So my last day in London was not exactly what I had planned.  I spent a good part of the morning trying to find the free walk-in clinic so I could go see a doctor. Apparently, the free doesn't apply to tourists though.  So a few hours, and $80 later, I walked out of the clinic with not much help, but at least the name of the medicine I needed.  I still managed to go to two museums later in the day though, so not all was lost. 

The next day I woke up bright and early and got ready to depart London for Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath. I was taking a bus tour and I knew it would be great when I saw my tour guide.  He was in a full on beige suit, with a matching bow tie, as well as a dress hat of course.  As we started our tour I realized something was already going awry.  I had checked with the tour company to make sure that the last stop on the tour was Bath, because that is where I was planning on spending the night (while the rest of the bus was going back to London) but when the tour began our guide announced that we would be stopping at Bath before Stonehenge.  However, luckily for me, I managed to convince him that was a stupid idea, and that we should definitely go to Stonehenge before Bath.  Windsor Castle was awesome, and I got to step on the graves of a bunch of British Kings. ( I don't know what the big fuss is about Buckingham Palace...I was not impressed, especially compared to Windsor).

Thanks to my protest to stop at Stonehenge second, we next made our way there.  There are many different theories about the significance of Stonehenge, and it's purpose back when it was built.  The one that makes most sense to me is that they used it as a calander.  The summer and winter solstice both match up perfectly with the rocks, and as the months change so does the area of Stonehenge where the light enters.  However I also have an alternative theory... Perhaps, it was simply an arts and crafts project... hell, what teacher wouldn't give some students extra credit for that?!

Lastly we went to Bath.  The Roman Baths weren't that impressive, but the street magic show that happened outside of the Baths was awesome! Also, the city of Bath is just absolutely breathtaking.  It has a city feel in a country environment, which I really liked.  I met up with my friend there and spent that night at her house. We enjoyed a night out in Bath, which is nothing like Copenhagen, or Berlin... or Prague.. In Bath everything shuts down around 11 or 12 if you're lucky....

Fun Fact I forgot to mention: After going to the Doctor on the 18th it became increasingly difficult for me to eat.  So from that point on until about today I was living on what is essentially the college kid diet... Frappacinos and Soup.  YUM

From Bath I left and went to Glasgow, Scotland to visit another friend who goes to Uni out there.  This part of the trip was a nice way to end for me because it was more relaxing and less constant moving about.  We went to a park, the museum of Modern Art (which is creatively named GOMA...get it... like MOMA in the States...), and also the Cinema.  At the Cinema I saw the best 4th sequel ever created, Fast and Furious 5, though besides for Scream 5 which just came out, I don't know how many other movies have had 5 versions. 

Now unfortunately I must go back to reality... the sad reality that I have 2 finals, a project, 3 papers, and a SIM game to get ready for in the next few weeks. Oh joy! At least I have Rome to look forward to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment